Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Welcome, Adventurer...

My name is Brett Schofield and I am a self-confessed Fighting Fantasy Fanatic. I've been a fan of the enduring gamebook series since my dad loaned me his first edition copy of The Warlock of Firetop Mountain. The evocative setting, the incredible Russ Nicholson illustrations, the many ways you could die - I was instantly hooked. My Dad never got his book back and I have since added almost every Fighting Fantasy publication to my collection that I could get my hands on.

When we finally got the Internet once of the first things I did was search for Fighting Fantasy. There wasn't a great deal out there at the time, but the handful of fans that did exist quickly banded together and began re-exploring the world of Titan together. For my part I started JEDIboyy's Encylopaedia of Titan in late 2000, a couple of crappy HTML pages detailing the people, places and monsters from some of the later series' gamebooks. Together we formed the Rebuilding Titan group, and set about trying to bring some coherency to all the wildly different corners of the Fighting Fantasy world.

Fast-forward 14 years later (!) and I am still working at it. I have contributed an adventure to the awesome Fighting Fantazine webzine and have illustrated a couple of others. With a bit of luck another piece of my work will find its way to publication soon. Although I post very infrequently on the mailing list and forums, I have nevertheless been diligently scouring every Fighting Fantasy book that has been released and adding every minute detail to my ever-increasing database. And it is high time I started sharing some of my endeavours!

I have been thinking about starting a blog for a long time, but it is the recent appearance of Paltogue's excellent blog: The World of Fighting Fantasy that has finally spurred me to start one. I will post news and personal thoughts on the series, but I will try to focus on lore and Advanced Fighting Fantasy related material that I have pulled from my database. If there's a particular corner of Titan that you'd like me to focus on, let me know!

More soon; may your STAMINA never fail!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent to see this, Brett. I'm looking forward to what you blog about. I tend to blog when the mood takes me, which can be anything from several times a day to once every two months, but it's a lot of fun, which is the main thing. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete